In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Winter Harbor Historical Society

Steam ferry Schoodic, Winter Harbor, ca. 1920

Contributed by Winter Harbor Historical Society
MMN Item 16579 Item Details
Steam ferry Schoodic, Winter Harbor, ca. 1920
MMN Item 16579 Zoom

Description

Postcard of the steam ferry Schoodic leaving Back Wharf on Grindstone Neck, Winter Harbor. The building in the background is the office and waiting room.

Captain William H. Parker is seen standing near the wheelhouse.

The Schoodic was built about 1900 in South Portland for the company that developed Grindstone Neck, with Capt. Parker as superintendent of construction. The Schoodic was 85 feet long with 20 1/2 foot beam and carried a crew of six. She plied the waters of Frenchman Bay until about 1925.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.